The Master of Arts in Urban Ministry and Community Development is a professional/academic degree to foster the intellectual development and the integrative practical skills of its graduates, professional clergy or others. The program is grounded in the academic disciplines of biblical and theological studies, and pastoral praxis. It also evaluates and interacts with other academic disciplines to foster contextual learning and best professional practices.
The degree emphasizes the role of the Christian Church in ministry in and for the urban community. It seeks to develop competencies in contextual assessment, development of contextual ministries, leadership and management of urban ministry projects. The degree explores Christian identity and its correspondent responsibility of service to others.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited institution recognized by the United States Department of Education with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale).
* Official Transcripts required from all colleges and universities.
* Evidence of 2 years of ministerial experience within the last 5 years.
* Professional resume with current information regarding employment, research and/or special projects.
* Personality and Diagnostic Testing administered during orientation (waived for MS or MA).
* Bible Literacy Entrance Test (BLET) 70% minimum acceptable score, administered during new student orientation.
* Two letters of recommendation; pastors should present one letter from a conference administrator, and one from the head elder of the local church where they are currently ministering. Church officers need to present one letter from their pastor and one from a current church leader or office in the church where they served.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL) and score at least 500 (written test) or 173 (computer test). All TOEFL scores must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service to the Oakwood University School of Graduate Studies. Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited institution whose language of instruction is English will be exempted from the TOEFL.
RT 522 Biblical Principles for Urban Ministry 3 hrs.
RT 523 Christian Theology for Christ-centered Urban Ministry 3 hrs.
RP 543 World Religions & Contemporary Cultural Diversity 3 hrs.
Seventh-day Adventist Heritage
RP 525 Community Ministry in the Adventist Tradition 3 hrs.
RP 551 Worship & Its Development in Black SDA Churches 3 hrs.
RP 552 Black Adventist Preaching & the Prophetic Voice 3 hrs.
Urban Ministry Core
RP 526 Decoding the City for Effective Ministry 3 hrs.
RP 527 Non-Profit Organization and Community Development 3hrs
RP 532 Church Planting and Church Growth in Urban Settings. 3 hrs.
RP 542 Church and Community Relations 3 hrs.
RP 573 Contextual Pastoral Research Seminar 3 hrs.
RP 574 Contextual Pastoral Praxis & Resource 3 hrs.
Total hours required 36 hrs.